Developement Strategy for Gdynia Maritime University
Strategy for Development of Gdynia Maritime University for the years 2016-2020
The Strategy for Development of Gdynia Maritime University is consistent with the assumptions of the maritime policy of the Republic of Poland up to the year 2020 (with the prospect up to 2030), which is determined and described by the Integrated Policy of the European Union and the Ministerial Programme for the Development of Higher Education and Science for the Years 2015-2030. It is consistent also with the University mission, according to which Gdynia Maritime Academy by conducting scientific research significantly enhances knowledge related to development and operation of technical systems in the maritime economy, and by educating students – prepare, on the highest level, personnel who are able to effectively handle challenges of the contemporary maritime economy, especially maritime transport on the national and international scale. Meeting the economic needs of the country and the region Gdynia Maritime University shapes among its students attitudes that are characterised by entrepreneurship and respect for the principles of sustainable development. Gdynia Maritime University expresses its opinions and gives advice on matters relating to the maritime economy and to education of personnel for the needs of the maritime economy. The most important values for Gdynia Maritime University are: truth and reliability in science and education, a close connection of an educational process and the needs of the economic surrounding, innovativeness and openness.
The strategy of Gdynia Maritime University is in compliance with the priorities of the Europe 2020 Strategy and the Long-term Strategy for the Country Development (Poland) 2030 as well as with the Regional Development Strategy of the Voivodship of Pomorskie until 2020
PRIORITIES FOR GDYNIA MARITIME UNIVERSITY:
- Consolidating the University’s position as the leading international academic centre in the area of education and scientific research for the needs of the maritime economy.
- Enhancing the system of studies by raising the quality of education, revising and updating educational programmes, offering new fields of studies and specialisations, and internationalising the University’s offer.
- Striving to raise the scientific category of the Faculties in the system of parametric evaluation of scientific units.
- Increasing the University’s contribution to the transfer of knowledge to the economy, development of innovative solutions and commercialisation of the results of research.
- Satisfying the criteria indispensable to obtain the status of the university (the term in Polish: “uniwersytet przymiotnikowy”).
Taking into account the scientific-didactic potential of the University and the above mentioned priorities, Gdynia Maritime University sets the following strategic objectives:
- Enhancing educational programmes and adapting them to the needs of the national and international job market.
- Consolidating Gdynia Maritime University’s position as the recognised education and training centre of personnel for the needs of the economy, especially the maritime economy.
Objectives are realised through:
- Raising the quality and effectiveness of the educational process.
- Striving to introduce the education system of three cycles of studies in all the Faculties, developing new fields of studies, including the inter-university and inter-faculty fields and ensuring flexibility of the programmes of studies for the needs of the job market.
- Expanding the educational offer, including post-diploma studies as well as professional and vocational courses so as to fully meet the needs relating to professional development of people working in the area of the maritime economy and to offer them a possibility of lifelong learning.
- Internationalising the educational process through the exchange of visiting professors from foreign universities, intensification of students exchange within the ERASMUS+ programme and openness of the University towards foreign students, among others by offering studies in English in all the Faculties of Gdynia Maritime University.
- Enhancing the unique model of education, in which vocational practices on training-research vessels of the University held for students of specific fields of studies preparing them to work at sea are a key element in acquiring skills as well as professional and social competences.
- Developing cooperation with national and international organisations and employers, especially with employers in the maritime sector so as to enhance the educational programmes and to ensure that students of Gdynia Maritime University have lots of opportunities to do their vocational practices and traineeships.
- Streamlining mechanisms and processes aiming at further growth of subjectivity of students and doctoral students taking into account their needs within comprehensive professional development as well as development of personality and intellectual potential, including the needs in the area of fitness, sport and tourism.
- Developing and offering new forms of students’ activities within scientific circles, sports sections as well as supporting other initiatives of students’ and doctoral students’ organisations
- Crating conditions that facilitate obtaining marine diplomas by employees and students of the University.
Within scientific research and development works
- Intensifying actions aiming to develop and raise the quality of scientific-research activity.
- Developing scientific potential and cooperation with other universities, scientific-research institutions and industries so as to significantly increase the University’s contribution to the transfer of knowledge and commercialisation of the results of research.
Objectives are realised through:
- Creating conditions that favour scientific and professional development of academic teachers.
- Striving to increase scientific potential and scientific effectiveness, including the number of academic teachers with the scientific title as well as the scientific degree of a doctor with habilitation and a doctor.
- Obtaining the rights to grant scientific degrees.
- Supporting the employees of the University in scientific internships and assisting them in research works, including these in foreign scientific centres.
- Striving to significantly increase the University’s participation in scientific-research projects and research and development projects funded, among others with resources of NCN (National Science Centre), NCBiR (National Centre for Research and Development) and other European programmes.
- Building up strong interdisciplinary research teams that are open to address new subjects of research works and research and development works within projects and orders coming from the industry.
- Engaging students and doctoral students to participate in realisation of scientific-research works conducted in the University.
- Developing the University’s competences as the expert centre in the areas of systems solutions, technical and technological solutions as well as economic and organisational solutions for the economy, including the maritime economy.
- Developing scientific cooperation of Gdynia Maritime University with scientific institutions as well as national and international organisations, including an increase in the number of jointly realised research works, research and development works, expertises and consultancy.
- Participating actively in scientific consortiums, scientific networks and other activities aiming to create the regional system of innovations, including Smart Specialisations for Pomerania.
- Extending the use of the training vessels of Gdynia Maritime University to conduct scientific research.
Within the development of didactic, scientific-research and social infrastructure
- Developing didactic, scientific-research and social infrastructure of the University so as to ensure education and scientific research conducted on the highest world level.
- Modernising and developing social and sport infrastructure to better meet the needs of employees, students and doctoral students.
Objectives are realised through:
- Building new didactic and research laboratories and modernising the existing ones.
- Modernising and renovating the training vessels.
- Modernising and renovating social infrastructure.
- Building a modern student’s house.
- Building a new sports hall together with the University sports centre.
Within organisation and management of the University and integration of the university community
- Creating the partner model of managing the University.
- Raising the quality and effectiveness of the processes of managing the University.
- Rationalising management of the University resources, especially human recourses.
Objectives are realised through:
- Applying modern techniques and technologies in the area management, including information, Internet or mobile techniques and technologies.
- Adapting the organisational structure to the current and future needs in order to streamline internal processes and raise effectiveness of managing the University.
- Implementing and applying mechanisms to acquire budgetary and non-budgetary resources for the University development.
- Developing a long-term plan for renovations and investments and establishing mechanisms, the aim of which will be the effective use of the University‘s resources.
- Streamlining and adapting mechanisms of recruitment, appraisal and motivation of employees that will result in an increase of effectiveness at work.
- Creating good working conditions and introducing instruments and incentives that will intensify physical activity of employees, students and doctoral students in Gdynia Maritime University.
These strategic priorities and objectives will be realised in the form of operational tasks set by the Rector and heads of the organisational units of Gdynia Maritime University.
Chairman of the Senate
Prof. Janusz Zarębski