Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Dean’s Office – Faculty of Electrical Engineering (room C-258)
81-87 Morska Str.
81-225 Gdynia, Poland
phone: +48 58 5586630
e-mail: biuro [at] we.umg.edu.pl
The beginnings of the present Faculty of Electrical Engineering go back to the year 1954, when the Faculty of Ship Radio Engineering inaugurated its activities in the State Maritime School. Three years later this organisational unit was restructured into the Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
The Faculty comprises of 4 departments:
- Department of Ship Automation,
- Department of Marine Electrical Power Engineering,
- Department of Marine Electronics,
- Department of Marine Telecommunications.
The Faculty offers its students varied and modern research and teaching infrastructure that is upgraded in response to the latest technological developments. Lecture halls that are equipped with the state-of-the art audio-visual equipment and laboratories with new generation devices and instruments as well as the free access to the Internet ensure excellent conditions to conduct both scientific research and teaching processes. Among a wide variety of modern laboratory equipment it is necessary to enumerate: the ship automatic control system simulator and the physical model of the shipboard electrical power plant facilitating teaching, research and testing works on new solutions in ship power generation systems, the GMDSS marine communication system simulator that is a complete, real console of this system, objects for real-life satellite communications, devices for prototyping electronic systems as well as computer and network hardware to realise, among others, the Cisco Networking Academy program. Moreover, within the project RIDAM, financed by the European funds, new laboratories of the Faculty of Marine Electrical Engineering were created and fully equipped. The obtained funds allowed starting the following laboratories:
- Laboratory of Renewable Sources of Energy,
- Laboratory of Virtualisation of Operational Systems and Computer Networks,
- Laboratory of Microwave Technology,
- Laboratory of Satellite Radio Communications,
- Laboratory of Optoelectronics, Photovoltaics and Fibre Optics,
- Laboratory of GMDSS,
- Laboratory of Electromagnetic Compatibility of Radio Communications Systems,
- Workshop of Computer Design and Simulation,
- Laboratory of Automation of Ship Energy Systems,
- Laboratory of Measurement and Control Systems,
- Laboratory of Microprocessor Measurement and Control Sets.