The Centenary Celebrations of Gdynia Maritime University
The year 2020 was a very important one for Gdynia Maritime University. The 8th of December marked the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Maritime School in Tczew and the raising of the Polish Merchant Navy’s flag on the school building. Although over the course of the century, the name and location of the educational institution have changed, one thing that has remained unchanged to this day is our dedication to serving the Polish maritime industry.
2020 was also a special year for the world as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The restrictions in place meant that changes were made to the program of events for the University's 100th Anniversary of GMU. The celebrations on December 8th went ahead according to the new plan as adopted by the University.
As in previous years, the celebrations started with the ceremonial raising of the flag in front of the University’s main building.
The sitting of the Senate on the occasion of the School’s traditionally celebrated anniversary and the 100th Anniversary of Polish Maritime Education was convened remotely online. During the sitting, awards and orders of merits for considerable service to the development of maritime education and GMU were presented.
At the Pomeranian wharf, at the mooring point of Dar Młodzieży, a Remembrance Appeal was held to honour all those who have left for the eternal watch. With this solemn memorial, we remembered the directors, lecturers, employees, students and graduates of the Maritime School in Tczew and the Gdynia Maritime University who are no longer with us and have become part of the 100-year history of the University.
After reading the Remembrance Appeal, Rector, Professor Adam Weintrit, the Secretary of State of the Ministry of Infrastructure, Marek Gróbarczyk and the Chaplain of the Maritime University, Prelate Edward Pracz, threw a symbolic wreath into the Gulf of Gdańsk from the deck of the training ship Horyzont II.
On the occasion of the anniversary, best wishes and congratulations were received from GMU's partner universities and institutions.
Special thanks go to:
- The International Association of Maritime Universities
- Shanghai Maritime University
- Hochschule Bremerhaven
- Pîrî Reis Üniversity
- Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy
- National University "Odessa Maritime Academy"
- Polish Naval Academy
- Academia de pesca e Cincias do Mar do Namibe
- Arab Academy dor Science, Technology and Maritime Transport
- Conference of Rectors of Polish Universities of Technology
- The Silesian University of Technology
- Batumi State Maritime Academy
- Gdańsk University of Technology
- Constanta Maritime University
- Warsaw University of Technology
- Tallinn University of Technology
- Hochschule Wismar University of Applied Sciences Technology, Business and Design
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Satakunta University of Applied Sciences
- AGH University of Science and Technology
- International Hydrographic Organization.
We would like to thank all universities and institutions for the warm wishes received on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the University.
We encourage you to watch the video Celebrating 100 years of Gdynia Maritime University below.